[Rhodes22-list] A pint is a pound the world around - more or less, at least in the US

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue May 18 16:42:25 EDT 2021

Tom’s number for the weight of a gallon of water didn’t sound right to me, so I Googled it.  The internet says that a gallon of water weighs about 8.3 pounds, and as we know, the internet is never wrong.

I’ve always interpreted the saying in the subject of this post in a couple of ways:

1) The number of ounces (weight) in a pound is the same as the number ounces (fluid) in a pint (that is, 16).  This is true in the US, but not ’the world around’.

2) The weight of 16 fluid ounces or water (a US pint) is about a pound.  This is not exactly true, but generally close enough in most settings outside of a laboratory. A gallon then, consisting of 8 pints would weigh about 8 pounds.

The internet also says that Hank is right about the weight of gas ( a quick glance at search results shows weights ranging from 6.1 to 6.6 pounds per gallon) .  I never would have guessed that weight difference between water and gas was so wide.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)