[Rhodes22-list] Suggested max number of people aboard

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri May 21 14:26:18 EDT 2021

Hi Matt,

>From 2005 to 2012, I lived in Spring Park, MN and sailed my R-22 on Lake Minnetonka.  My apartment complex was right on the water, with it’s own marina.  I trailered my R-22 over to White Bear Lake once for a day sail.  As you know, there are so many inland lakes in Minnesota, it’s hard to sample them all.

My 2 sons grew up with our R-22.  The boat sails best with 4 guests.  But, you can get by with as many as 6 guests, especially if they are all kids.  More than 4 big adults in the cockpit will require you to plug up the floor cockpit drain at the back of the cockpit or water will drain into the boat.  Obviously, you don’t want to do this in conditions where you might need the cockpit drain to work.

When we would anchor out for a swim, I would string dock lines from the bow cleats along the waterline to the stern cleats port and starboard.  This gives a tired swimmer something to grab onto.  If you don’t already have a boarding ladder, you need to get one for these swim sessions.  A good stereo system also helps.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium