[Rhodes22-list] Update on IMF outhaul/furling running rigging changes made over the winter

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Fri May 21 21:09:09 EDT 2021

Jesse,

I furl the main the same way you show in the video, by pulling down and back under the boom, then cleating off using the cam-cleat on the cabin top.  I guess the line takes too many turns for pulling from the cabin top to work effectively.  I still find it easier than having to cleat off on a dancing boom.

One aspect of this approach for running outhaul and furling lines that really didn’t hit home until after I’d done it was the impact it has on being able to raise or lower the boom.

When the outhaul and furling lines are cleated to the boom, it can be raised or lowered without affecting how the main is furled.  Everything moves as a unit.  With the outhaul and furling line cleated at the cabin top, if you lower the boom, you immediately introduce slack into both lines.  Once I realized this, I reattached cleats to the boom, so that when I want to raise or lower the boom (which I don’t do often), I can shift the cleating points from the cabin top to the boom temporarily.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)