[Rhodes22-list] Furling line tensioner

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu May 27 10:44:01 EDT 2021

Hi All,

I have used a homemade roller furler control line tensioner solution for 25+ years.  The 1st image is from www.defendercom<http://www.defendercom> :

[cid:image002.png at 01D752E5.314346C0]
This off-the-shelf piece of hardware is a C.S. Johnson Roller Furling Bail (Johnson P/N: 40-505).  It’s designed to be mounted on the base of the lifeline stanchions, just above the toe rail.  You mount one on each stanchion from the bow back to the cockpit.  S/V Dynamic Equilibrium has 4 such stanchions.  At the stanchion in the front of the cockpit, you replace the simple fairlead with this piece of off-the shelf hardware, (Harken P/N: 239) also available from www.defender.com

[cid:image005.png at 01D752E5.314346C0]
The following picture from the Rhodes-22 archives shows how my roller furling control line is routed thru a block on a stand-up spring and then along the toe rail back to the cockpit:

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D752E3.64CB0700]

Note how the block only changes the direction of the roller furler control line by a few degrees.  Similarly, as the control line passes thru the fairleads on each lifeline stanchion, the curvature of the foredeck causes the control line to change direction slightly at each stanchion.  This slight change of direction at each fairlead is the key.  Slightly changing direction 5 times introduces just enough friction into the system to absorb the kinetic energy and keep slight tension on the control line in order to prevent a snarl on the furling drum.  When unfurling the genoa, you can literally just let go of the control line and this passive system will control the line tension all by itself!  I haven’t had a snarled control line in over 25 years.  It just works!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium