[Rhodes22-list] Code Zero

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Nov 20 14:16:46 EST 2021

Hi Austin,

I have a triradial spinnaker and a cruising spinnaker.  The cruising spinnaker came with the boat when I bought S/V Dynamic Equilibrium back in 1987.  It looks very similar to Mary Lou’s; but, I don’t have any details on the shape or construction, other than it’s nylon.  I fly it from my spinnaker halyard.  There is a tack downhaul, that I have rigged back to the cockpit.  Finally, there is a wrap that goes around the furled genoa and attaches to the tack.  This helps keep the tack of the sail near the forestay and enables the tack downhaul to put tension on the luff.  In this configuration it’s a light air sail; but, almost as close winded as my 150% genoa.  Downwind, I loosen the tack downhaul and slide the wrap up the forestay to belly the sail out.  Then, I use my whisker pole to take the weight of the sail and the sheets off the clew.  My whisker pole has a topping lift to support this weight.  Because it’s a light air sail, I use 1/4” OD StaSet X sheets to keep the weight down.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone