[Rhodes22-list] Sailing in 18-20 mph wind speed with gusts

Allyn Baskerville allynb at adsne.com
Tue Oct 12 05:31:15 EDT 2021

I’d say 10% of the time we race at Lake Hefner, the wind is blowing 18-20 mph with gusts in mid to upper 20s and sometimes lower 30’s. I reef the sails a lot to prevent being over powered, but I’ve noticed my R22 points about 10-12 degrees off of where it normally would with the sails completely unfurled. I’ve made about every trim adjustment I can think of, but going upwind is very challenging. I should add that I’m solo 1/2 the time.

The boat will do 4 knots upwind and 6.5+ broad reach, but the extra distance kills the time. I’m planning on replacing the starboard rudder head with stainless or aluminum this winter as I can feel a lot of flex, and I’m sure that is part of the problem. Is there anything else that can be done to improve pointing in higher winds?

Thanks again
Allyn