[Rhodes22-list] Hull Thickness

John Keyser retro53 at msn.com
Tue Oct 26 15:47:50 EDT 2021

Hi Joe,

I too had a very wet lazarette, and installed a bilge pump there as a precaution. Now, I can report the bilge and lazarette are dry. The main problem turned out to be a crack in front of the centerboard trunk (probably caused by a hard grounding during it's past). When the boat was hauled this winter and spring, using pressure treated wood, fiberglass matting and resin, I reinforced the rib and stringers in that area.

I also suspected that the cockpit drains became overwhelmed by intense rains (seems like they are a lot more frequent these days), and the water was making its way inside by flowing underneath the lazarette hatch cover. This was confirmed by stains left by the water on the rim of the hatch, as well as hanging some paper towels there. To combat this, I installed a product called MD Auto & Marine Rubber Weatherseal around the lip of the hatch.

In addition, a leaky port was sealed.

So far, so good this year. Things are nice and dry.

Good luck with your boat!

John Keyser