[Rhodes22-list] How to improve Rhodes 22 upwind performance?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Apr 29 09:02:35 EDT 2022

Hi All,

This thread has gotten a bit off topic from the original topic of improving upwind performance.  To those whose spouses don’t like heeling, get them out on a catamaran and see what they think.  & I don’t mean a small beachable cat either.  Beach cats are too easy to capsize.  I mean get them out sailing on a big cruising catamaran.  Every year, I take my Boy Scout troop out for a day sail on my friend’s 42 ft LOA cat, S/V Now What? .   Effortless 7-10 knot cruising speeds under sail with ~4 deg of heel, lots of deck space to stretch out on, and no motor sounds.  You do have to contend with the “Whooshing”  sound from the twin rooster tails coming off the stern.   It’s an expensive solution; but, it will forever change the way you look at monohull sailboats.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone