[Rhodes22-list] Round batten and wrinkles in new main?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu Dec 22 08:42:00 EST 2022

Hi Mike,

To my eye, although the overall sail shape at the draft stripe looks pretty good, the vertical wrinkles in the aft 2/3 of the sail suggest insufficient horizontal tension.  On my fully battened mainsail, the batten pockets have a couple of overlapping Velcro straps.  These straps are used to compress the battens and pre stretch the fabric.  If I don’t get the tension correct, the result is vertical wrinkles similar to your sail.  What does the sail look like with the Doyle supplied round batten installed?  Because it fits inside the batten pocket, I’m thinking it might provide the horizontal tension the sail needs.

Alsi, it looks like you might have your leech cord a little too tight because the leech has some curl.  But, less leech tension probably won’t cure the vertical wrinkles.

Another experiment you can try, grab the leech up as high as you can reach and pull aft.  If the vertical wrinkles go away; then, this is pretty definitive that you need more horizontal tension.  You may need to cut your old batten until it just fits inside the batten pocket .

As far as wrinkles from shipping, I’m skeptical. it’s true the resin used to seal the porosity in the sailcloth makes it much stiffer and the resin will soften with use.  But, it’s been my experience that a new sail fits the best and has the best sail shape on the day you get it from the sailmaker.  After that, it’s a challenge to maintain that new shape as it slowly degrades.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone