[Rhodes22-list] Round batten and wrinkles in new main?

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:36:55 EST 2022

Mike, Probably doesn't help much but my 2010 Doyle Main has a flat batten but the bottom is a large sort of know that sometimes drops into the large portion of the boom slot preventing deployment until its pushed back up into the sails pocket.Joe Dempseys/v RespiteDeltaville, VASent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Michael McKay <mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com> Date: 12/21/22  10:58 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Round batten and wrinkles in new main? Happy Holiday Fellow Rhodies!I just installed a new IMF mainsail I ordered from Doyle Barbados.  It came with a round batten which was way too short for the batten pocket.  I installed my old batten which is flat and fit well, although it protrudes about 1/2” out of the pocket. Doyle claims that round battens became standard for R22 mainsails about 8-10 years ago. Can anyone confirm that?In addition, the sail has prominent wrinkles behind and below the draft stripe (see attached photo).  Doyle gave me the following explanation—does this sound credible to you?> The wrinkles you are seeing in the cloth are from shipping creases and impacts from shipping with the sail while being folded. (For example, a package gets dropped on end when in transit and the sail hits the edge of the box with a bit of force on a crease and therefore creates a pinch). This will smooth and flatten out with some use.  I can say that with absolute confidence as you can see from the picture that the wrinkles are not emanating from any  panel seams but instead are coming out of the fold lines. Woven Dacron is sealed with a resin which makes a porous weave closed and therefore efficient for use as a sail. That resin is initially quite hard but softens with use and time, as the sail gets used it will smooth out quite a bit. Thanks,Michael McKays/v Liber, 2006/2108Sent from my iPhone-------------- next part --------------A non-text attachment was scrubbed...Name: image.jpgType: image/jpegSize: 814857 bytesDesc: not availableURL: <http://rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20221221/9b02ad0e/attachment.jpg>