[Rhodes22-list] An Ongoing Lithium Battery Fire At Sea?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Feb 21 15:52:37 EST 2022

Mark,

You make a good point about the rest of the vehicles on board the ship.  However, I noticed that throughout this event, the color of the smoke coming from the ship was white.  This color smoke is characteristic of lithium fires.  Whereas, if hydrocarbons, like gasoline, fuel oil, or tires were burning, particularly in a depleted oxygen environment, the smoke would be black.  The lithium fires may have raised the interior temperature so high; that, the carbon particles in the black hydrocarbon smoke are being completely combusted to white ash particles, producing white smoke.  This would be consistent with the steel outer hull skin panels being destroyed.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone