[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pump Questions

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Jan 24 08:08:25 EST 2022

Chuy,

Best practice calls for the minimum number of thru hulls, because a thru hull that’s not there can’t ever leak.

Be sure to run an anti siphon loop on the plumbing from the bilge pump to the thru hull.  The loop needs to run at least as high as the bottom of the galley countertop and inboard almost as far as the sliding doors on the cupboard.  This will prevent outside water as well as gray water from the sink from siphoning back into the bilge.  Some people install a check valve on the outlet of the bilge pump.  But, 36+ years of chemical plant experience has made me skeptical of check valves.  They are prone to clogging; they “always” leak, at least slowly; add pressure drop to the bilge pump discharge line; and tend to fail just when maximum bilge flow is needed.  I’m not a fan.

The bilge pump should be on a separate circuit, with it’s own fuse or circuit breaker.  Best practice calls for the bilge pump to be wired thru a 3 position switch.  The 3 switch positions should be labeled “MANUAL”, “OFF”, and “AUTO”.  MANUAL is used to test the pump &/or force it to pump the bilge as dry as possible.  You should have a level switch that triggers the pump in AUTO mode.  I prefer the style of level switch that has a float on a pivot vs the style wherein the float is doughnut shaped and runs up & down on a rod thru the center of the doughnut.  The float should be protected inside a metal or plastic mesh cage.

S/V Dynamic Equilibrium has only 1 installed bilge pump.  But, I always test it before I go out.  I have a spare pump onboard; but, I’ve never had to install it.  Regarding the need for a redundant installed pump,  what’s your risk tolerance?  The size of bilge pump we are talking about will only handle incidental leakage; like say, your seat drains get clogged and there is a heavy rain.  If you hit something and make a hole below the waterline, the inflow of water will quickly overwhelm the bilge pump.  It’s really just an insurance policy against your boat sinking at the dock when you are not there.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium