[Rhodes22-list] Ballast vs. Weight aloft

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sun Jul 31 12:19:33 EDT 2022

Bob,

So, about how much were you heeling over and how much weather helm did you have?

The more the boat heels over, the more weather helm is developed by the hull.  This tendency to develop weather helm can be countered by deploying more genoa and less mainsail.  The Rhodes 22 will point highest if it can sailed flat with near neutral helm.  But, at any angle of heel, the boat will point highest if the sail area is distributed fore/aft to produce near neutral helm.  Also, your genoa sheet lead position should have been all the way forward on the track.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone