[Rhodes22-list] Sunken boat

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jun 28 16:06:47 EDT 2022

It appears that the boatyard placed a jack between the front of the shoal keel and the extension tongue of the trailer and a pair of jack stands at the stern. They then lift her to paint above the roller and the bunks. Those of us who have been around Rhodes 22s know better than to lift from the bottom, even with a v-block. The hull was never designed to support the weight of the boat in this area.

The hull can be repaired by a competent glass mechanic. The interior, electrical and mechanical system damage may result in insurance "totaling" the boat. How much insurance does the yard have?

If you want to sail this season, you might be better off looking for a used boat and "parting" the Rhodes out, depending on the quality of the rigging, engine, etc.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY
I’d rather be sailing :~)