[Rhodes22-list] Spring boat work - in Maine

Mark Whipple mwhipple59 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:06:08 EST 2022

Well, it's only meteorological Spring (or so my wife tells me) and about 30
degrees in Boston but I'm thinking of warmer weather. I'm excited that my
friend Tim Lackey (https://lackeysailing.com/) just started working on my
Rhodes!

I first met Tim around 2000 when I was looking to buy a 28' Pearson Triton.
I eventually did buy a Triton yawl built in 1959. *Tikvah* spent five years
in my driveway while I did a pretty thorough renovation - everything but
painting the topsides and replacing the engine. I was partly inspired by
Tim because he was doing a price-is-no-object renovation of another Triton,
*Glissando*. (His email signature in those days: "What the boat wants, the
boat gets!") Tim was a marine surveyor at the time. He documented the
renovation process in extreme detail with numerous pictures on a web site (
https://www.triton381.com/). He eventually sold *Glissando* and bought
another Triton, converting that one into a daysailer with a huge cockpit.
These projects and others eventually led Tim to start a business of doing
renovations of plastic classics. Tim's motto: One man, one boat at a time.
He continues to document all the work he does on the boats people bring to
him.

If you'd like to watch the progress of the work he's doing for me, you can
find the daily project logs here
<https://lackeysailing.com/projects/luna-mia/>. Some of you may recall that
when I bought my R22 a few years back, it came with a wheel in the cockpit,
a self-tending jib and Hoyt boom on the bow, and a saildrive in the
lazarette. I've removed them all and Tim is patching up the holes that were
left behind. Then he will paint the hull for me.

After so many years of doing all the work on my various boats by myself, I
am thrilled to have someone else doing the work! Especially because I know
it will come out better than I could have done. Also because while Tim's
making progress on my boat, I'm spending lots of time on the couch
recovering from foot surgery.

Mark

Boston, MA
2000 R22 *Luna Mia*