[Rhodes22-list] Zebra Mussel Mitigation

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Sun May 15 14:34:35 EDT 2022

I keep my boat on Lake Pepin which is actually The Mississippi River.
Unfortunately it's become infested with zebra mussels in a big way. They
got up inside the centerboard trunk and jammed up the board so bad it would
hardly move up and down. At one point mid-season last year I hauled it out
on the marina's big travel lift and power sprayed up in the trunk as
best we could and it was better for a while. I can't keep doing that though
so I took the board out and painted it with anti-fouling ablative bottom
paint, counting on the fact that they can't attach to the paint. I was
mostly unable to prep /sand the inside of the trunk to my satisfation but I
did get three coats of paint down there with the weenie roller on a stick.
The fun part was the trolly I fabricated to hook the block and tackle to,
hoisted the board up and rolled it across the boom and out to the cockpit
for prep and paint. Then hoisted it back up, rolled it back in and lowered
it into place. (see pictures) I'm counting on the bottom paint to solve the
problem. I truly hope not to be doing this again!!

Slim
Fandango