[Rhodes22-list] Source for a 130 Genoa

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri May 27 18:44:37 EDT 2022

Hi Rodney,

Attached below is a thread from the archives, 1st published ~20 years ago.  There is lots more discussion on genoas and roller furlers in the archives and I suggest you look at this resource.  There was also a lengthy discussion thread on this subject last winter on the list, although I don’t know how to search for it.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

OK, what's a foam luff pad & why do you want one?

There is a difference between the optimum airfoil shape for light air & heavy air. Light air sail shape needs to have a more extreme curvature than a heavy air sail shape. Sailmakers call this more extreme curvature "deeper draft". The ideal roller furling genoa would have a deep draft shape when it is fully rolled out & a progressively shallower draft shape as the sail is rolled up for use in stronger winds. The foam luff pad on a roller furling sail is currently the best technology to achieve this progressive reduction of draft as the sail is rolled up.

Seen from the side, the foam luff pad looks like half of a long skinny ellipse sewn into the leading edge of the sail (i.e. the luff). It can be literally made of a single layer of closed cell foam sewn into the sail or it can be also be made from several layers of heavy sail cloth. All it really needs to have is extra thickness in the middle section of the luff. To work properly, the roller furler must have independent upper & lower swivels & the middle part of the luff must be firmly attached to the furling tube. OK, when this sail is completely rolled out, it has the proper deep draft shape for light air. As the sail is rolled up, the middle part of the luff is attached to the furling tube & is thus forced to roll up with the furling tube while the upper & lower ends of the sail are attached to independent swivels & do not roll up as fast. The foam luff pad sewn into the middle portion of the luff gets rolled up 1st. Its extra thickness adds to the effective diameter of the furled sail as furling proceeds. Since the middle portion of the luff has a bigger diameter than the ends, the middle part of the sail gets rolled in faster than the ends - i.e. the deep draft portion of the sail cloth is rolled up proportionately faster than the rest of the sail. The sail shape becomes progressively shallower draft as we roll up the sail, exactly what we want to happen for sailing in stronger winds. Pretty cool eh? When you combine this technology, with the inherent strength & lighter weight of the latest generation of composite sailcloth & the latest radial designs, you get an integrated roller furling foresail system that is simply light years ahead of the OEM factory roller furling foresail. The composite sailcloth & bi-radial construction enables the sailmaker to computer design the desired sail shape into the sail - not only when completely deployed in light air, but also as the sail is furled up & wind loaded.

A word of warning, the high tech sailcloth & roller furler is more expensive to purchase & the composite sailcloth does not last as long as straight Dacron. It is also not as idiot proof to sail with as the standard system. Allow me to explain:

With the standard roller furler & foresail, poor furled sail shape & sailcloth distortion under heavy wind load combine to function as a sort of "safety valve" against helmsman & sail trimmer errors. The top half of the sail distorts under the load of a wind gust & permits most of the wind's kinetic energy to spill off without causing much heeling &/or thrust. This results in the standard rig being pretty much immune to a knockdown no matter how badly the crew screws up. Upgrade the genoa to the system described above & it's a whole different ball game. The sail's construction & the super strong composite sailcloth have the designed sail shape locked in & it won't significantly distort right up to the point of sail cloth failure. In the hands of an expert crew, this means the kinetic energy in a gust of wind is instantly converted into thrust that causes the boat to surge ahead. The boat seems to "squat" in the water as the bow starts to climb up it's own bow wave. It can set you right down into your seat. Its great fun & a rather additive experience! However, if the crew screws up, the sail will not "save" you by distorting & spilling wind. If the helmsman doesn't bear off &/or the sail trimmers let the sheets fly at the proper moment in a heavy gust, then the boat will be knocked onto its side faster than you can say, "Holy shit!" If you are not willing to pay strict attention in heavy air, then do not install this system on your boat. However, don't be surprised when you see more & more of these sails & roller furlers out on the water. You'll usually be observing them from behind, get used to it! This is mature, well proven technology that really really works.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium