[Rhodes22-list] Source for a 130 Genoa

John Keyser retro53 at msn.com
Fri May 27 17:41:39 EDT 2022

Hi Rodney,

   I bought an older (1980) Rhodes 22 with a roller furling Genoa (maybe 140) carrying a North Sails logo on it about 4 years ago.  I keep the boat in the Delaware River, and because it's always advisable to stay within the river banks, there is always a lot of tacking involved when we take her out for a sail. For the first two years, I was not terribly happy with the boat's ability to tack. Half of the time, she would end up in irons with the headsail often not making it around to the other side of the boat, in all kinds of wind conditions. Now I know there are many reasons for this to happen, and I'm sure that it was me (although I never had the problem with any of my other boats).  Luckily, as it turned out, at the end of the second year, the Genoa developed a tear, and upon further examination I decided to get a new sail rather than try to have it repaired.

  My sail search took me to Precision Sails Ltd, in Sidney, BC, Canada. A team of designers worked with me to understand my sailing needs and design the most appropriate sail. We settled on a 115 headsail made from their 400 series Advanced Dacron 6 material. It cost $745 including delivery.  When I put it in service last year, the boat was transformed. Tacks are now effortless and it is now very unusual to have any difficulties maneuvering under sail. In addition, she feels a lot more balanced under full sail, with just a nice touch of weather helm - previously there was some lee helm unless the Genoa was partly furled.  I am a very satisfied customer.

 Best Regards,
John Keyser
Deci-Belle