[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard thumping

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 22:22:08 EDT 2022

Matt, Roger always has good advice and many times it's not what you want to hear. When you pull the cap, inspect the gasket for signs of cracking or dry rot. You may have to replace it.  Good luck.Joe DempseyS/V RespiteDeltaville, VASent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: ROGER PIHLAJA <roger_pihlaja at msn.com> Date: 10/3/22  9:23 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Centerboard thumping Matt,When S/V Dynamic Equilibrium developed a thumping noise from the centerboard, it turned out to be a worn out pivot bushing on the board.  There was too much play between the ID of the bushing and the OD of the centerboard pivot bolt, brought on by many years of use and wear.  The solution was to remove the centerboard well cap, pull the centerboard, and replace the bushing.  In your case, your may have damaged the bushing, or the centerboard pivot bolt, or the centerboard well.  In any case, I would remove the centerboard well cap, pull the centerboard, and inspect what’s going on in there.  This is the sort of thing that will only get worse with time.  It could very well be a structural issue, especially if the centerboard well is damaged, and I wouldn’t ignore it.Roger PihlajaS/V Dynamic EquilibriumSent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for WindowsFrom: Matt Wilson<mailto:mwhornblower at gmail.com>Sent: Monday, October 3, 2022 2:17 PMTo: The Rhodes 22 Email List<mailto:rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Centerboard thumpingHello Rhodes Experts,You all are so helpful to us newbies.Earlier this season I accidentally left the centerboard a little bit downand ended putting sideways pressure on it in shallow water.  It caused aslight cracking of the cap of the trunk and a slight leak.  The leak hasvirtually stopped and should be taken care of by minor fiberglass of thecap.  But, now I hear a thumping noise from the bottom of the boat when thecenterboard is down and the sideways pressure changes on the centerboard.Is that something to be concerned about?  The centerboard seems to be goingup and down fairly smoothly still.Thanks for your help as always!Matt WilsonHornblower IIWhite Bear Lake MN