[Rhodes22-list] Newbie here

jpd9668 at gmail.com jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 15:05:43 EST 2023

I replaced both of the forward port lites with fixed acrylic and a side port mine with a Beckson port lite from Defender. Here is my description of the project:
7.	Port Lite Re-Bedding
Port lites are a common source for cabin leaks which lead to interior damage and headaches. There are almost as many instructions on replacing/rebedding a port lite as there are occurrences! (“Practical Sailor Magazine” has some great instructions online) I won’t go into the specific details of this operation, but a couple of things I learned. My lites had been rebedded with silicone sealer at some point. Again, there are pros and cons. One of the cons I can attest to is the removal of silicone residue. It’s a bitch! But I have found that Marine Formula by De-Bond Corporation will turn the residue of just about any sealant/adhesive, including polysulfides (5200), into a mush that can be easily removed with a putty knife, chisel or razor window scraper.  Nonetheless, silicone sealant seems to be the best route due to its adhesiveness, flexibility and waterproof properties. It’s recommended by Beckson, the manufacturer. So that’s what I used. One other thing, do not tighten down completely on fresh silicone. Wait until it has skinned over, about 15-30 minutes before tightening down.
Another thing I found out is that Acetone will ruin acrylic port lites! Don’t use it!

Hope this helps and welcome to Rhodie Land!

Joe Dempsey
Trojan 42
m/v Voyager
Deltaville, VA