[Rhodes22-list] Electrical KISS

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 14:05:48 -0600

Brad,

Sounds good as long as your sitting still. I was thinking about a small
platform that would hang over the transom though, myself. Not so far to
carry it. Or maybe above/on top of, the outboard somehow. don't know yet,
got to think on that some more.

If you are going to use it on the bow, maybe a pad of fairly stiff foam, or
other rubber type stuff under it might dampen that vibration you were
noticing. I think I would find a way to bungee it to the pulpit or
something too. Never know when you might get a big power boat wake coming
through and then....Ooops. But, when sitting still (anchored) your boat
will generally be oriented bow to wind, so your exhaust concerns are
probably warranted. This is mostly why I was shooting for the transom mount.

Rather than worrying about using the 12 volt outlets intermittently, I
would just use a 110v charger. In fact, I have used the normal shore power
cord to the shore power inlet box in the past and just plugged my charger
into one of the 110v outlets in the cabin. If you don't have a shore power
chord, a regular 25 ft. extension cord with an adapter should reach to most
anywhere on the boat. But, like you said, a fellow's going to have to be
darn careful.

Rik