[Rhodes22-list] drink holders

Bill Effros rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:34:52 -0400

Will,

I've been using them for years.  I prefer them on vertical rails, but they
will hold 12 oz. cans on the horizontal rails.  The big problem is putting
the can into the holder, that's when it moves.  On the horizontal rail you
need 2 hands to insert them; on the vertical rails you can insert a can with
one hand.

I also started with 2; now I think I have 6 or 8.  I put 2 on the stern
rail, port and starboard, and store my gps in them.  (I have a handheld with
external power--the external power cord keeps the gps tethered to the boat.
I've been doing this for 3 or 4 years without any problem.)  I also keep 2
on the outer pop-top tubes--one holds a small plastic garbage bag that I
remove and replace every time I go out.  I would have more if I had more
rails to put them on.

As noted previously, they are soft.  I've never hurt myself on one of them
even though they are (obviously) all over the boat.  Only 1 has ever fallen
off--the 1 hand problem--they float, even with the bottle in them.
Unfortunately they spill at least 1/2 the contents of the bottle.
Notwithstanding this loss, they are expensive enough so that you go back to
retrieve them.

I also have Lil Suckers on board of all different sizes.  They make them to
hold everything from a nail polish bottle to a paint can.  If you get the
right size they will hold anything, even empty cups and bottles.

Bill Effros