[Rhodes22-list] Hull Cleaning

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:07:01 -0400

Bob,

There are 2 ways to go:

1. Cover the stains.

2.  Use abrasives to remove the stains.

Covering is easier.  First use mild abrasives to remove all loose stuff.
Then there are many different types of covering materials available from
paint on up in complexity and cost.

The problem with strong abrasives and old boats is that in order to remove
the stains you will also remove whatever might be left of your gel coat as
well, at which point you will be forced into a more expensive covering
solution.

Assuming you will opt for covering after mild abrasives, how much do you
plan to spend?  How handy are you?

Browse around the FAQ pages for a lot of information.
(http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html) Come back to the list with
specific questions if they are not covered in the FAQ.

Bill Effros

----- Original Message -----
From: "rhendy" <rhendy@earthlink.net>
To: "Rhodes List" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 10:35 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Hull Cleaning

All,
   Please look at the photo attached.  (At least I am gonna TRY to attach
it.)
   First of all, I must point out that this is a 26 year old boat....(1976).
   On the left is the area of the rudder from which I have removed the paint
in preparation for a fresh bottom coat.  On the right is the un-sanded area.
If the quality of the photo permits you to see, the area to the left is very
yellow and ugly.  Unfortunately, this is repeated on the entire hull which
is also yellow and stained.  I wish it to be clean and white like the left
of the photo.
   What are your recommendations for a product which will do the job?
   Thank you all for your inputs.

Fair Winds,

Bob Hendrickson
S/V Getaway

----

Name: Rudder.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 61155 bytes Desc: not available

----