[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Stan, will the real paint stand up?

Dan Bodnar dsbodnar@earthlink.net
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:27:30 -0500

Another opinion on bottom paint.....
I use VC17m on my boat- sailed on Lake Erie. It isn't really an ablative
paint, Interlux calls it a "thin film".  The finish copper does "wear" off
or slide off the Teflon base so you can see signs of wear.  I wish it didn't
work as well as it does, but now that Interlux has added the biocide, I'll
stick with it for the foreseeable future because you have to sand the bottom
down to the gel to use something different.  The reason I wanted to switch
is because it takes a 1/2 day to mask the boat in order to spray it
(airless), which is probably the best way to put it on. It is very volatile
and I easily loose a quart per gallon to evaporation when I've rolled it on.
(That is one of the reasons it is sold only in quarts).  I have 3 seasons
with only a touch up on the leading edge of the bow and keel.  The racers
around here and an Interlux rep. recommended using crumpled newspaper to
scuff up the old surface before relaunching in the spring. (A fair amount of
color gets transferred to the news paper.)  Although last year was a short
season for me, I experienced no zebra mussels and very little slime
accumulation on a 3 year old paint job.

Now having said all that, If the boat already has an ablative paint, I'd
stick with it. because you have to sand it off to put anything else on.
Interlux seems to have the most free literature available, as well as a good
help line staff .   http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

VC17m doesn't seem to do well in anything but fresh water.  A racer friend
of mine talked me into it and they swear by it around here.

Dan Bodnar
SV QOL