[Rhodes22-list] Progress report

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Apr 16 15:24:38 EDT 2003

Roger,

Yes, thanks for the idea.  I lifted the boat in two stages.  First, I
cranked all three jacks all the way up, then built up the "towers" to within
an inch of the bottom, then let the boat down on them.  Then I raised the
jacks to their uppermost position and put cinder blocks under the jacks and
cranked it up again.  That gets me another 8 inches, build the towers up
more and let her sit there.  Then I took the tires off the trailer and let
the axle rest on small pieces of plywood on the ground.  I should have taken
a photo of the boat like this to show how much room I had--very easy access
to the whole bottom/keel.  But I had put the tires back on when I took the
shot.

My clamp-on tongue jacks don't come off easily but they do rotate and store
sideways on the frame.  It hasn't been a problem submerging them when I
launch, but then I'm only in fresh water.

I seem to recall your rear jacks having feet instead of wheels.  I would
prefer that to mine since the wheels allow the trailer to creep around a
little.  But overall, it's a great way to do it.  Thanks again.

Now we're back to crappy weather--even a little snow--so I can't finish the
job for a few days.  I hope the boat will be OK up on the towers.  I noticed
a little oil canning.

Slim
S/V Fandango