[Rhodes22-list] UPS measurements

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 10:01:08 -0500

Ed,
This is quick and somewhat from memory because I don't have time to look
everything up but I'd like to keep this conversation going as Atlantic City
is next weekend and we may be ordering our sail then....

The UPS sail is cut to be somewhere between a jib and spinnaker. I've
talked to folks that had a drifter on a wire luff that did sort of the same
thing. I think the idea is to have more of a spinnaker cut but the tacking
ability of a regular headsail. I think Stan lists the 175 genoa as 200 sq.
ft. We were quoted a UPS of 200 sq ft. - same size - different cut, lighter
cloth. Tom's is somewhat bigger at 240 sq. ft. He seems happy - I'm
inclined to go with the bigger sail.  Doyle gives a description and diagram
of the various sails compared to the UPS at:
http://www.doylesails.com/sails-ups.htm

Don't know about the measurements for a cruising spinnaker - maybe someone
else has those numbers.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou