[Rhodes22-list] Hackers

Keyes, David dkeyes@velaw.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:20:08 -0600

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but if you paid about $100 to buy a
router, such as one made by LinkSys, it would provide firewall protection
provided that you use its default setting of constantly changing your
computer's address, as seen by any hacker trying to ping your machine.  You
can use it even if you have only your computer hooked up to it and no
network.  I leave one of my home computers on all the time and have not had
a problem.  Some operating systems may be more susceptible than others to
hacking.  Windows 2000 (not for your Mac) is pretty good because it's always
going on standby; you have to press control-alt-delete and type in a
password just to log back in.  This is an extra little obstacle for the
hackers.

David Keyes

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Alm [mailto:salm@mn.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 4:09 PM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Hackers

Mac users,

I'm not really much of a computer expert but I'm wondering if I'm leaving
myself open to hackers.  I use the broadband service (Road Runner) and I'm
always online.  I have no firewall.  I don't even use any virus protection
because I have a Mac...so far, I've never been hit.

I've been looking at Lavasoft's Ad Aware anti spyware stuff and I was
wondering if any of you have any comments on this.  I don't know if it even
runs on Mac.

Of course I have all my file sharing stuff turned off, but...?

I wouldn't want anyone to gain access to all of the very sensitive
information I have on my computer such as the lyrics to a thousand dirty
songs.  :-)

Slim

		++++++CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE+++++
The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged. This
email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization
named above.  If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized
representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
review, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any,
or the information contained herein is prohibited.  If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email
and delete this email from your system.
Thank You.