[Rhodes22-list] Docking "Breaks"

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:11:41 -0600

Rummy,

I HAVE thrown my anchor over in a too-fast-landing!!!  :-O

This is just the way I think, because of too many times coming in and my
motor DIES just at the worst possible moment.  ARRRGG!!!  RAISE THE MIZZEN
AND LOWER THE GUN'LS!!  AVAST!!  NEVER TRUST A BLOODY OUTBOARD!!!  Also, my
dock is too shallow for a board-down landing and there is typically a lot of
weeds in the shallows.  The weeds slow me down a little but also foul the
prop and rudder and contribute to some control problems.  In a big wind, the
anchor doesn't seem like such a bad idea.  ;-)  I land under sail as much as
possible to avoid relying on the motor.  That's when the "breaks" come in
handy.

Let's face it, landing any boat nicely in a wind and/or current is an art.
I'm doing my best to expand the art :-)  :-)  and I take heart that the R22
can be run right up on the beach if I screw up that badly.  Lucky for me my
beach is sandy :-)

Slimmy