[Rhodes22-list] Hey Roger, chin up

Kroposki kroposki@innova.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:01:30 -0500

Roger,
      You have kids in school, etc. and won't relocate at half the pay
or less.  Bite the bullet, move to where the jobs have moved.  You have
to move again in ten years, but that is the way it works.  Or go back to
school and get a two year degree.  That is what I did.  And when you
know how to run your department better and more cost effectively than
your boss, you grit your teeth and keep your mouth shut.  Time to quite
griping and and take anything that comes your way.  It keeps you from
going insane.  It is a mental health issue.  And by and by your income
creeps back up.  But then you hit another wall and have to prepare to do
it all over again.
	The answer is do what Stan does, run your own business, be your
own boss.  You may not make any money, but you don't have to wonder when
the axe will fall.  Ironically, the axe comes not from somebody who
understands that you are helping the bottom line, but because the total
cost of the operations exceed income. (S)He thinks that just anybody can
keep the operation running with the same equipment. So to save payroll
dollars, termed a controllable expense, he cuts the number of employees.
Well, people can't run at a sprint pace all the time.  But by the time
he realizes that (or usually the decision maker has been promoted or
fired) all the key people are gone.
       Anyway, you are not alone.
                                     Ed K