[Rhodes22-list] Mayday on the Hudson and other ironies

John Tonjes johntonjes at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 27 21:18:12 EDT 2003

Based on my experiences, I would have to speculate that the centerboard
broke free from it's mounting slot in the trunk, either the thru bolt broke
or the slot itself broke. The hole that you found in the trunk was caused
by the centerboard pounding against the bottom of the boat until the line
broke. Just a guess, but I have had some experience with something similiar.

Rummy

(Back
> to the old  2stk 4stk lots of hp not much hp and all that) we made it in
35
> min. By that time we had ankle deep water in the  cabin but since we
talked
> about how great she floats (unsinkable and all that) I was not woried.
When we
> tide up at the dock it realy started to come in and we had to put in a
1/2hp
> sump pump to get a head of it,  Luckely   it was high tide and we got her
on the
> trailer.  To everyones astonishment  a hole  the width of the keel an 3
> inches long helped empty the boat.  It is the very aft section of the
keel starting
> at about one inch from where it fairs into the hull and the 3 inches down
> along the vertical edge of the keel just behind the centerboard trunk.
How it
> got there  no one knows it's in the damndest spot. One thing bugs me
however the
> fiberglass in that  area is very thin not mor then a 1/32.  The void
space is
> not very big maybe 11/2 gallons worth.  I'm tempted to fill it with
concrete.
>  Now repairs and improvements.  Advice wellcome  comentary aswell.
Yours