[Rhodes22-list] Leaks

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 15:55:13 EDT 2003

Hello Saroj (and other listies)

This is the first time I have actually spoken, but have been listening for a
while.  Perhaps someday there's an R22 in my future.  My father owned a 1976
Continental - probably the best boat he ever owned - purchased at Barnegat
May, NJ and sailed a lot at Lake Monroe, Indianapolis, IN in the early 80's.
Anyway, I have just reconditioned a 1982 Starwind 19, designed by Jim
Taylor.  It's a nice boat, but not quite an R22.

I offer this bit for what it's worth.  The Starwind had some through-hulls,
many of which I removed and glassed over, because a few of them failed.  One
in particular was for the centerboard pennant  (just the the Rhodes has).
This is a true through-hull fitting, but it goes from the cockpit floor and
another hull liner of fiberglass and leads to the inside and back of
keel/centerboard.  A leak here  (as anywhere) could sink the boat.   Does
your bad fitting pass through two layers of fiberglass?  If so, that could
be the problem.  The action of  hull flexing, the two fiberglass layers
moving against each other, can snap those plastic fittings.  I reccommend
replacing with solid brass fittings, which don't easily crack.  West Marine.
Cost more -- worth it.

B/T/W, please use GE 101 polysulfide - stays pliable much longer.  good
stuff.