[Rhodes22-list] Politics -- Question

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jun 11 08:58:28 EDT 2003

Frank,

I'm not sure this is a case of "lied to".  As Brad mentioned, DoD seens to be putting out the right numbers.  Until very recently the press hasn't been asking the right questions about those numbers.  The totals reported by DoD have exceeded the totals reported by the press.  My question was "what's going on?"  The press has just begun to ask the same question.

Yesterday's New York Times ran a story about this.  In the graphic it said there were 41 US military deaths since May 1.  In the story it said there were 42.  NPR the day previously said there were 29 deaths since May 1.  Another died yesterday in combat.

Again, as Brad mentioned, some of this is "combat" related and others are "accidents".  So what's an accident?  What does this mean?

Assuming the difference between the NPR deaths and the NYT deaths is the difference between "combat" and "accidental", there were 12 or 13 "accidental" deaths over a 40 day period.

We have roughly 160,000 soldiers in Iraq.   Federal Express, the firm Brad works for, has roughly 146,000 employees.  Federal Express is constantly flying planes, and driving trucks.  Does Federal Express suffer a dozen employee deaths due to "accidents" every 40 days?  I don't know?  Brad?

The composition of the work forces and the non combat work related risks would seem to be similar.  If the accidental death rates differ it is possible that someone is "fudging" the totals.

Bill Effros