[Rhodes22-list] New Pop Top Encl.

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:10:53 -0500

Wally,
Our pop-top enclosure is older than Slim's but we don't have such good
pictures. Ours does not have the window in the aft flap so we added a
full-length screen inside of the canvas flap. It zips on the sides just
like the canvas flap but we usually only unzip one side to go in and out.
In warm weather we just leave the canvas flap rolled up and use the screen
to keep out the bugs. There aren't any screens in the front but we have the
opening front ports and can get a bit of a breeze that way.  If you want to
just have screens it might be better to just get one of those big mosquito
nets like the camping stores sell
(http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=73077&cgmenbr=226)

On the other hand, ours does a pretty good job of keeping us dry as well.
We've had to treat the seams a couple of times (especially where i added
the screen) but it's kept us mostly dry in some pretty driving rains. I say
mostly because water still runs down the mast onto the forward part of the
cabin. It doesn't drip in but the splashes the drips make do tend to add to
the dampness in the cabin. We usually put a paper towel up there to keep it
from splashing so much.

You are right that the pop-top enclosure really opens up the cabin. We
really like the extra shelf space you gain on the cabin top (as long as
it's not raining). We bought ours used and the snaps didn't quite match up
with snaps already on the boat. We just put more snaps on it in places that
did match up and we use snap extenders in a couple of other places. Had to
replace the zippers on the door last year. That was a bit daunting but it
worked out ok.

All in all it's been a great addition to the boat. We usually spend whole
weekends living aboard - often at the marina and it's made everything quite
livable.

Mary Lou