[Rhodes22-list] New Pop Top Encl.

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 02:14:28 -0600

Hi Wally,

My comments after your questions:

On 3/21/03 5:20 PM, "Wally Buck" <tnrhodey@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Slim,
>
> Thanks for posting; best shots I have seen of the Pop Top Enclosure. I have
> never actually seen one, only photos. Your installation looks nice. It
> brings up a few questions....
>
> It looks like there are no screens for the front and front side, is this
> correct?
Yes, it's solid plastic around the front.  But as Mary Lou said, you can
open the forward ports for ventilation or just unzip the front (vertical)
zipper, but yes, that would let in the bugs.

> Does the door have a screen?
Yes.  Look at the first picture I posted--the one with me sitting in the
cockpit working on the install.  It shows the rear flap.  There's a sewn in
screen and an outer rain flap.  The rain flap alone can be rolled up just
like the side windows or the whole thing can be rolled up.

> Also the part that covers up the companionway, it looks like you have to
> roll up the flap to allow entry, is this correct? I have seen some designs
> that had a vertical zipper in the middle of the door piece. You could unzip
> 3/4s of the way and go in and out. It seemed like a nice idea.
The companionway flap has two vertical zippers on each side--not one in the
middle.  If you were in a real buggy area, you'd want to keep it zipped and
just treat it like any tent when camping. Zip and unzip as you go through.
If it's only a little buggy, you could just leave one side unzipped and
unsnapped and just let it hang there.

> A previous owner of my boat had the enclosure, the snaps are still on the
> boat. I was hoping that the thing opened up a little more. Summers here are
> warm even with the pop top up, hatch open and door off.
As I understand, Stan installs the snap studs at the factory on all the
boats.  Ours were already there too. The canvass comes without snaps and you
install the snaps on the canvass to fit the studs already on your boat.

> Maybe I will get an estimate on having someone (Alex?) make an enclosure
> with no plastic windows. I think I would like all windows made with screen
> only, screened companionway with zipper and flaps you could roll down and
> close windows and entry way with.
Consider this though: if you're at anchor and it's raining, the boat will
point into the wind and the rain would blow right in if you only had screens
up front.  As it is, the thing works kind of like a dodger.  And don't
forget, you CAN sail under way with it deployed.  It adds quite a bit of
windage but...

> I hope you enjoy your Pop Top Enclosure, I know it really opens the cabin
> up. Your boat is looking good man!
Thanks, Wally.  We've already nicknamed it the "Pop tent" (like "pup tent")
because "pop top enclosure" has way too many syllables.  :-)

We also have a boom room.  I'll attach a picture from inside so you can see
how roomy it is.  We love it.

> Wally
>
>> From: Steve Alm <salm@mn.rr.com>
>> To: Rhodes <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
>> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] New Pop Top Encl.
>> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:46:05 -0600
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Here are some shots of our new pop top enclosure on the day I installed it
>> (Tues).  There's still ice on Lake Minnetonka so we can't sail, but getting
>> the boat open and having a few beers on board is still very cool.
>>
>> Slim
>> S/V Fandango
>>
>> Name: not available Type: image/jpeg Size: 551422 bytes Desc: not available
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200303/21/attachment.j
p>> e
>> Name: not available Type: image/jpeg Size: 691221 bytes Desc: not available
>> 02.jpe
>> Use Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org, Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Name: not available Type: image/jpeg Size: 451441 bytes Desc: not available