[Rhodes22-list] Bahamas offshore cruising class

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue May 20 10:13:55 EDT 2003

Roger,

This one?  Or was there another?

Bill

-----------

Last January, I crewed aboard  the "Lazy Bench", a 36 foot ketch, on a
cruise from LaBelle, FL to Nassau, Bahama Islands.  The 1st two days of this
cruise were up the Okeechobee Waterway (OCW) & then south down the
Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) to W. Palm Beach, FL.  LaBelle, FL is about
halfway between Fort Myers, FL & Lake Okeechobee.  I don't know what the OCW
is like to the west of LaBelle, FL.  I recommend you get copies of charts
11427 & 11428 if you are planning to go on this cruise.

Last January, we were attempting to catch a favorable weather window for a
Gulf Stream crossing.  So, we didn't linger or make many stops in the OCW or
the ICW & my observations are based upon what you can see from a boat
passing by at about 5 knots.  Along the stretch of the OCW we traveled,
there are about 14 bridges & 3 locks.  Most of the bridges were of the
drawbridge or bascule type.  Figure on about a 20 minute wait at each
bridge.  The locks are of the old fashioned type & don't have any floating
bollards to tie up to.  Bring an old wooden board along to fend off the lock
walls & wear old work gloves as the lock walls are very rough & dirty.
Depending upon where the lockmaster puts your vessel in the lock, it can be
difficult to hold it steady if you are singlehanding.  It's helpful to have
a partner.  Locking thru requires about an hour.

Most of the OCW can best be described as a ditch.  This ditch passes thru
huge areas of farmland & equally huge areas of mossy swampy wilderness.
Because of the levees &/or the moss covered trees alongside the ditch, you
can't see very far inland from the the boat.  After a few miles, it all
starts to look the same.  You actually start to look forward to the next
drawbridge or lock just for the change of scenery & something to do other
than keeping the boat headed down the ditch.  If you are into bird watching,
you might enjoy this trip.  The locks have several little docks to tie up to
& modest camping facilities, but there appears to be little else to do
shoreside if you did not have a car.  Other than Lake Okeechobee, you will
be motoring all the way.  I would not recommend this trip to anyone with
children because they will be bored to death.  We tried to do some fishing
off the back of the boat, but had no luck anywhere on the OCW or the ICW.
I'm told you sometimes see alligators & manitees on this stretch of the OCW
& ICW.  We kept a close watch, but didn't see any.

Lake Okeechobee is another matter.  It's plenty big enough to sail on, with
interesting places to stop.  Someday, I'd like to go back there with Dynamic
Equilibrium & spend about a week.

You start hitting civilization just west of Stuart, FL.  From there all the
way down to W. Palm Beach, the homes (estates?) along the waterway get more
& more opulent.  There are more towns & marinas to stop at.  You also start
encountering more industry & commercial boat traffic.  If you are into this
sort of thing, this leg of the trip is much more suitable than inland.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium