[Rhodes22-list] Mast Raising

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Apr 23 03:40:28 EDT 2004

When I tarp the boat for the winter, I remove the mast crutch and lower the
mast down to the stern rail.  This provides a ridge for my tarp.  Today, the
only thing that I struggled with a little was getting the crutch back in
place with the mast up on it. A second person would have made this a lot
easier but there wasn't anyone around.  So here's the question:  Can you
raise the mast with the hoist, in the usual way, if the mast is down to the
stern rail without the crutch?  Apart from giving the mast a nice place to
rest, and also the crutch roller makes it easier to walk the mast fore and
aft between the tabernacle and the bow pulpit, is the crutch really
essential?  Or, does it have to be that high?  I realize that the farther
down you go, the more stress there is on the hoisting system so maybe
therein lies my answer.  It would be a bigger pull on the bow cleat, the
crane, the tabernacle and the aft lowers.  Just thought I'd ask.  Anyone?

Slim