[Rhodes22-list] Calling all creative people

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 17:24:54 EDT 2004

The attachment got stripped but here is a text version for those with too
much time on their hands.

Rules:  Work together as a BOAT.  Most correct answers – Wins!  Judge has
final word on answers (even if he is wrong) as he has spent valuable work
time researching these facts.

Complete the Sentence:

There are 2 kinds of Sailors:Those who have run aground and those Who
___________
Red Sky at Night ________________
The difference between a vacuum cleaner and Jet Ski is _____________________
East is least __________________
RED, Right,  ______________

For the Record:
						Skipper:	Vessel:		Year:
The 1st solo Circumnavigation “with stops” ___________  	__________	________
The 1st solo Circumnavigation non-stop       ___________	__________	________
Age of the youngest solo non-stop circumnavigator: _________
The year of the first SOLO Atlantic crossing	__________
The LOA of the smallest “manned” boat to complete a transatlantic passage
was: ___
a) 4 to 6 feet  		b) 6 to 8 feet 		c) 8 to 10 feet

Need for Speed:
								Speed		Vessel Name
								(+- 10 )
The fastest speed attained on Ice by sail alone. (in
MPH)	________	___________
Land sailing speed record:	(in MPH)			________	___________
Highest recorded speed reached (on water) under sail
(KTS)________	___________
Fastest Circumnavigation (hint: 2004)  Skipper:__________  Days:________
Longest Distance Run in 24 Hours	Miles (+- 50) _________  Yacht ___________

How many statute miles in 1 degree of latitude ____

SAILING- What's a scratch boat?  __________

a)	A boat eliminated from a race before the starting gun.
b)	The chore boat which services the committee boat during a race
c)	The boat with the greatest technical advantage during a specific race.
d)	Last boat over the finish line.

The America's Cup was origionally known as the: _________

a)	Fisherman's Trophy
b)	Lipton Cup
c)	Queen's Cup
d)	King's Cup

The horse latitudes, at about 30o in both hemispheres are so called because:
_________
a)	The steady, regular winds that drove ships across the ocean in that
region.
b)	In memory of the horses dumped overboard there.
c)	The British Light Cavalry took that route to the American colonies.
d)	Corruption of the word "hoarse." Sailors were likely to suffer croup in
that fog-plagued region.

MARITIME HISTORY- The most famous member of the Beagle's complement was:
________
a)	James Cook
b)	Joseph Conrad
c)	Robert Louis Stevenson
d)	Charles Darwin

BOATBUILDING- A method of diagonal planking which uses two sets of overlayed
thin planks layed at an angle to the keel is called "the _________ system"
a)	Ashcroft
b)	Bush.
c)	Cheney.
d)	Rumsfeld

SAILING- What boat was added to the lineup for the next Olympic sailing
competition? _______
a)	Cherub
b)	Yngling.
c)	Star
d)	J/20.

What year were the words, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" spoken?
________
a)	1778
b)	1812
c)	1864