[Rhodes22-list] Stuck centerboard

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Aug 10 08:50:24 EDT 2004

Dave:

    1.  Look at the positive side; it is better stuck up than down.

    2.    Before taking the cap off, I would try to get the board down
again.  To take the cap off, you have to take a several internal boat pieces
up to get at the cap.  Then, there are many, should I say very many screws
holding the cap in place.  To put a cap back in place requires first putting
all the screws in place then getting them all tight.  It requires multiple
tightening of all screws some hard to reach.

    I recommend looking in the archives on how to paint the bottom.  Roger
and others have devised ways to jack the boat for painting.  Once you get
the boat up to the point you can get leverage and visability, look for
something stuck up in the well.  If nothing visible, get ready to apply
leverage.  First, make sure if board does move, it does not completely drop
and hurt itself or you.  If you can see the point where it is binding, try
WD-40 or Silicone spray.  Make sure that lever does not damage bottom or
board. Go for it.

    There is a Barient winch manual on line in the documents library.

    There are specific products for removal of rust stains.  Look at the
supermarket.

Ed K

Greenville, SC, USA