[Rhodes22-list] Sailing - Highly Technical Question

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Dec 2 11:34:27 EST 2004

brad haslett wrote:
> ...  So here is the question of
> the new millineum.
> Does beer generated piss freeze or not?

Brad -

The salinity depends somewhat on whether it is the
beginning or end of the drinking session.  The kidneys
ordinarily produce a fairly concentrated (salt, uric
acid, etc.) output that will generally freeze well
below 32 degrees F.  However, as blood alcohol rises,
the kidneys start flushing it, and the output becomes
less saturated (and the dehydration contributes to
your hangover!).

I do not have measured data on the freezing points of
base-line and post-party urine, but given a mix
derived from a collection of motorcycle riders at a
winter party, I am estimating that it froze at about
10 degrees F.

Hope this helps re. freezing.  Now, about the
advisability of cleaning the tank.  As the temperature
of a concentrated solution drops, you can get to the
point where it becomes saturated, and salts precipitate
out.  I have noticed that uric acid crystals are
reluctant to dissolve back into solution.

I'd clean the sucker.

/Robert Skinner