[Rhodes22-list] Re: HELP!! CB trunk has delaminated!

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Dec 7 05:55:44 EST 2004

Lou,

Could you get into your centerboard trunk with a small circular saw blade
chucked up in the flex drive on the Dremel Multitool?  I have a fine tooth
circular saw blade for my Dremel Multitool with a 1 inch OD.  With the close
clearances inside the centerboard trunk & a bare spinning blade, I think I'd
wear a HD glove (preferably Kevlar or chain mail!) on the hand that was
holding the flex drive & you'd definitely want eye protection.  If there is
sufficient room & you think you can do it safely, you could cut thru the FRP
laminate all around the bad area.  Once you have the FRP laminate cut, you
should be able to get behind the laminate with a chisel & peel it away from
the cement.  Once the FRP skin is removed, you will probably be able to
quickly remove the extra bulging cement with the chisel as well.

If it was my boat, before I started cutting, I would try to do some
nondestructive testing to see if there are any other bad areas in the
centerboard trunk.  Look in the Yellow Pages under "Laboratories-Testing"
and also under "Surveyors-Marine".   You are looking for someone that can do
nondestructive ultrasound.  If I were doing this testing, I wouldn't need
anything fancier than a signal generator, the handheld ultrasound transducer
& an oscilloscope.  What you are doing is really just a thickness test.
Good FRP laminate will give a nice clean echo pulse off the FRP/cement
interface at the centerboard well skin & also at the FRP/cement interface on
the outer shoal draft keel skin.  But, you will also get echo pulses off any
delaminations, voids or porosity (either air or water filled), regions of
high density in lead/cement filler, & regions of low resin saturation in the
FRP laminate.  The overall echo pattern on the oscilloscope screen will
probably be very complex.  But, you don't need to explain every little blip
on the oscilloscope screen.  You are really just interested in comparisons
of good/bad areas in the FRP laminate - i.e. areas where the short return
time echo pattern is significantly different than the echo pattern in other
areas of the centerboard well.  An hour of time scanning the interior
surface of the centerboard well could be very revealing, showing areas of
thin FRP laminate, delamination, water intrusion, porosity, & poor resin
saturation.  Then, you could confidently cut out all the bad areas & fix
them.  Around here, there are outfits where I could rent this equipment for
a couple of hours.  Actually, I'd just borrow it from the SVSU materials
testing lab!

Unless an inspection of the centerboard reveals it has some bulges, cracks,
or other flaws, I wouldn't start modifying it.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium