[Rhodes22-list] Re: HELP!! CB trunk has delaminated!

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Tue Dec 7 10:29:18 EST 2004

  Roger,
  I like your idea  and already have the cutter blades for my dremel
tool.  I always wear goggles as much as I hate them since I also wear
glasses and a full respirator mask esp when working around epoxies
and sanding FRP.  Thanks for the warning anyway.
  But first I was hoping to show you my board pics but my drive at hm
froze so iam going to try to upload from my work computers at NYU.
The board has some flaking of  extra layers of paint near the top
where the SS mounts for the two sheaves reside.   I am going to
scrape and sand all that excess away.  I remeasured the width last
night and believe I may have made incorrect measurements last week
which could mean the board will fit back in easier now that the small
amounts of barnacles have been removed and the front end of the trunk
has been sanded down effectively.
  If the board does go in smoothly I will patch up the delaminated
section that exists and not cut out any more of the bulge this
season.   If the board does not go in and out smoothly, then I will
have to cut out ONE side of the bulging cement.  I don't believe the
bulging cement is that bad that it must  be removed on both sides as
I said the board did come out with only one person pulling it up once
it was unstuck below.  This could have been due to growth on the
trunk compounded by the swollen cement intrusion.
  I will make inquiries into the list of surveyors who i solicited
originally and see what their prices are for doing the ultra sound
test you recommended.  As a related item, when I was underneath the
cabin/ companionway section of the hull Sunday, I did some knocking
on the hull and found disparate sounds coming from my port side as
compared to my stb side, in the same horizontal plane.  When I took
notice of where this correlated back to upsides, I found it to be the
region where I have noticed some of my cement ballast eaten away by
water damage.  This  pic is online but the damage seemed localized
and I have no idea how far back the cement ballast continues past the
companionway.  But an ultrasound test would help determine the state
of the lamination if I understand your post correctly.
  thanks for all  your help!
  peace
  Lou