[Rhodes22-list] Boat for sale

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 20 15:42:42 EST 2004

< I think a Cape Dory 25D and maybe
> even a CD 26 qualify. >

Both of these boats were introduced towards the end of the companies existence.  Even though designed by the renowned Carl Alberg I feel that they are heavily compromised toward motoring and not sailing.  Also, at that time, Cape Dory began to focus on cosmetics to the detriment of basic excellence (cast iron ballast instead of lead) that sort of thing.  Not particularly desirable to me anyway.

 At one time I was heavily attracted to the Cape Dory 27.  But, my wife had a friend who owned a CD-28.  You cannot believe the difference that one foot in length made!!  We bought a CD-25 instead of the CD-27 and never regretted it.

Sharing your cabin a heavy, vibrating, clamoring stinking diesel is not so great either!

<I think a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 is
> more than he wants to spend (even used) but the Pacific
> Seacraft 25 is (I think) 27ft. 9 in. >

I have seen the Pacific Seacraft Flicka and one of their 25/26 foot boats (can't remember which) I thought they were well constructed but lacked appeal (to me anyway)

Indeed one can get a coastal cruiser in the 26 foot range.  The Cape Dory 27, the Albin Vega, Nonsuch 26 , and Contessa 26 all come to mind..  But (except for the Nonsuch) be prepared for cramped quarters, excess windage  and/or lack of standing head room.

When it comes to liveability the Nonsuch boats come out ahead.  BUT in the smaller sizes they are for two people and an occasional guest or child.  Nothing is slower or wallows more then a Nonsuch on a run!!

When the kids grow, my  wife and I intend to retire to a Nonsuch 30

I turns out that it's impossible to get full standing headroom in a small sailboat which is optimized for sailing.  Sad but that's the way it is.

I have looked at the Seawards and was NON-impressed.  Not turned off but not impressed.  Same for the Compac's.  Some stupid engineering there in spite of quality construction.  The Nimbles are nice but SLOW and to add misery the owner died recently.  What will happen to that company is non defined at this point.

Another alternative is a cruising catamaran.  Frequently unpopular at marinas and weight sensitive they go like the wind and provide a great deal of livable space.

For several years my wife and I cruised in a CD-25.  It must be the smallest 25 foot boat ever built.  Visitors were appalled at the tiny accommodation but when we out-sailed their 27 foot Hunters... etc they changed their minds.

To wrap it up;  largish accommodations are not in the game for sailboats (not motor sailors) less then 28 feet long.

Richard Smith