[Rhodes22-list] need help

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Wed Jul 7 14:51:07 EDT 2004

Stan,

I have to second Herb's suggestion. One of the things I do with my geek
friends send a short paragraph to Babelfish, translate it to Korean and back
to English. It can get pretty funny. Here's an example from my 1988 Rhodes
manual:

Original:

"So why the instruction sheet? First, there are some weather related, or
buyer initiated, or other reasonable causes for having a boat package picked
up or delivered, unopened. And Second, for your second season you may have
to be on your own."

To Korean and back:

"It is like this the instruction manual why? First, or the purchase which is
drafted it sleeps and there is some weather which it relates all, or is
hazard the cause which is different fit becomes, is not opened to the public
a boat packing well. And at second, must be your oneself whom your 2nd
seasonal datum it spreads out because it does not know."

Okay. So the whole Korean thing may be a bit over the top. For a sanity
check, let's see what happens if we translate the same text Spanish and
back:

"So why the instruction leaf? First, there are a little related time, or
initiated buyer, or other reasonable causes to have a package of the boat
they took or they gave, nonopen. And secondly, because his second station
you can have to be in his own."

As you can see, these tools are pretty cool, but they've got still got a way
to go. However, I believe the current administration uses them extensively
for their foreign policy discussions.....<g>

Mark Kaynor