[Rhodes22-list] Camping question

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jul 22 21:37:47 EDT 2004

ed kroposki wrote:
> ... I'm thinking about going ahead and getting
> one of those Honda's... thinking about the
> eu1000i or the 2000i.  There is a difference of
> a few hundred bucks between them, so I wonder if
> I'll really need the bigger one.
> Use: primarily for camping.  Keeping the battery
> charged.  The biggest current draw would
> probably be the fan on the furnace.  I don't
> pretend to think it would power the AC, or even
> the fridge (which I'd put on gas if I
> didn't have hook-ups)

I have an eu1000i.  It is light, quiet, easy to
start, and totally reliable.

As the standard refrigerator draws about 2200 watts
as the compressor starts, only a small refer could
be driven with the 1000 watt output of the generator.

As to the furnace, you may also want to measure the
draw of the circulator pump, if any.

I tried to power an electric chain saw with the
eu1000i, but it tripped the breaker pretty quickly.
OTOH, an electric string trimmer worked quite well.

I also use the eu1000i as part of a hybrid drive in
a small sailboat that I use on lakes where I want a
quiet, minimally polluting way to maneuver around the
dock or cruise the shoreline quietly.  The generator
drives a Sears battery charger which is hooked to a
100 AH deep cycle gel cell battery.  The battery
powers an electric trolling motor.  The generator
ensures that I never get stranded because of a dead
battery.  Works flawlessly.

Hope this helps you on your quest,
/Bob Skinner