[Rhodes22-list] 1st Seaward 26 Sail

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Fri Jun 25 08:28:32 EDT 2004

Glen,

Where one battery is a starting battery and another is the house battery, I
would avoid charging on "Both" unless the batteries are identical. Usually,
the bank used for starting uses batteries that are designed with thin plates
that support quick, high-amperage draw downs, while the house bank uses
batteries w/ thicker plates that are designed to hold a lot of "juice", but
discharge (and recharge) more slowly. Charging both at the same time can
result in chronic overcharging of the cranking battery and chronic
undercharging of the house bank.

However, if both of your batteries are the same, the likelihood of this
occurring is considerably lessened. In this case, I'd suggest alternating
between "1" and "2", making sure the unused battery is kept fully charged so
you can always switch over to it to crank the engine.

One more reason to avoid charging on "Both" is that one day you'll forget to
switch out of "Both" position and will end up w/ both batteries dead.

Very important: remember that your alternator can be damaged when switching
between banks w/ the engine running. If you pass through the "Off" position
on the way from "1" to "2" (or vice versa) instead of through "Both", you
can kill your alternator.

I'd also recommend that you get a copy of the single most comprehensive boat
owner's book I've seen so far - Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and
Electrical Manual" - here's a link to it on Amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/007009618X/qid=1088162882/sr=1
-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-3002550-1995050?v=glance&s=books

Mark Kaynor