[Rhodes22-list] 20 Knots Of Wind With Full Sail? I Don't Think So!

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Mar 13 08:35:41 EST 2004

Gentlemen,

Now I realize Dynamic Equilibrium is a 1976 Rhodes 22 & therefore several
hundred pounds lighter than newer & more luxuriosly equipped models.  In
addition, I also have a fully battened mainsail & a 150% bi-radial
construction genoa made from a dacron, mylar, and kevlar composite
sailcloth.  Both of my sails will maintain optimum sailshape far better than
any of the standard OEM sails.  It's been my experience that reefing needs
to follow the following approximate schedule of wind speeds:

Apparent Wind                                          Sailing Style
Speed (knots)    Point of Sail   Passive Mode       Active Mode
0 - 12                       All            150% + FMS        150% + FMS

Tri-Radial Spinnaker Recommended

On Points Of Sail > 65 deg Apparent

(More Downwind Than Close Reach)

12 - 15                    Beat           150% + 1 Reef    150% + FMS +
"Active Control"
                                                   + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

15 - 17                    Beat          125% + 1 Reef     135% + 1 Reef +
"Active Control"
                                                  + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

15 - 20                    Beat          110% + 2 Reefs    125% + 2 Reefs +
"Active Control"
                                                  + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

12 - 15                   Reach         150% + FMS        150% + FMS +
"Active Control"
                                                  + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

Tri-Radial Spinnaker An Option

On Points Of Sail => 80 deg

15 - 20                   Reach         150% + 1 Reef     150% + FMS +
"Active Control"
                                                  + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

Tri-Radial Spinnaker An Option

On Points Of Sail => 100 deg

But Some Danger Of Broaching

20 - 25                   Reach         150% + 2 Reefs    150% + 1 Reef +
"Active Control"
                                                   + Crew On Rail    + Crew
On Rail

25 - 30                   Reach         125% + 2 Reefs    150% + 2 Reefs +
"Active Control"
                                                   + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

Some Danger Of Broaching

12 - 15             => 110 deg      150% + 1 Reef      150% + FMS + "Active
Control"
                 More Downwind     + Crew On Rail     + Crew On Rail
                Than Broad Reach
Tri-Radial Spinnaker Recommended

15 - 20            => 110 deg      150% + 2 Reefs     150% + 1 Reef +
"Active Control"
                                                  + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

Tri-Radial Spinnaker An Option

But Some Danger Of Broaching

20 - 25            => 110 deg      125% + 2 Reefs    135% + 2 Reefs +
"Active Control"
                                                  + Crew On Rail     + Crew
On Rail

Tri-Radial Spinnaker An Option

But Increasing Danger Of Broaching

NOTES:
XXX% = Size Of Roller Furling Genoa
FMS = Full Main Sail
Y Reefs = Main Sail With Y Number Of Reefs
Active Control = Constant sail trim adjustments & course changes to take
full advantage of wind shifts,
                              (i.e. gusts, lulls, headers, lifts, etc),
currents, and waves

I measure apparent wind speed & direction on board Dynamic Equilibrium with
an Airguide Model 919 handheld anemometer/bearing compass.  This very clever
device gives both an apparent wind speed and compass bearing.  It's been my
experience that without this measurement, I tend to grossly overestimate the
wind speed.

Unless you are strictly speaking about downwind sailing, I strongly doubt
any of your boats can carry full sail up to 20+ knots of wind.  Get an
anemometer, show me your data while sailing upwind, & then I'll believe.
Until then - BULLSHIT!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium