lee helm was Re: [Rhodes22-list] Purchasing new genny????

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Sun Mar 14 14:25:09 EST 2004

Peter,
Our lee helm is more noticeable in light air - though even in higher
windspeeds we need to furl with the helm in mind. It is more prominent on
port tack - maybe something to do with the big outboard on the port stern
or the heavy galley to starboard or....?  We seem to have more issues than
other R22s. I've heard a number of reports of lee helm or neutral in light
air but we've had significant lee helm at 10 knots. We've made lots of
changes with weight distribution, making sure the centerboard drops all the
way and tightening the backstays. Some of these improved the situation but
it's still there. This year we're going to let the forestay out a notch at
the masthead. We meant to do it last year but forgot and it wasn't enough
of a problem to drop the mast again. Sailing with the 175 all the way out
(light air), we have the lead cars all the way back on the genoa track. Are
you suggesting that with it partially furled we should keep the cars a bit
further aft than we might ordinarily? We'll have to try to remember that.
As might be expected, we also can make improvements playing with the
traveler. We didn't get many opportunities to sail in steady winds last
year so most of our playing around was from the year before.

Not really sure about our ideal big genoa. For a long time I thought it
would be smaller than a 175 but we had 6 or 7 sails this past year where
the 175 was just perfect. Don't know if we'd have done nearly as well with
a 155 or 160 but maybe so. It would definitely be lighter than the current
very heavy sailcloth. The heaviness is necessary I suppose if you are never
going to change sails but I like the idea of having several.  I'll be
interested to hear what Wally thinks once he has his new sail - whatever it
is.

Mary Lou