[Rhodes22-list] Politics -Gross Pictures of Iraq War

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 12:19:49 EST 2004

Stan and Rummy,

Forgive me for using one response to both of your
replies.  For some reason, about half the R-22 e-mails
are going to my spam box and consequently I recieve
many of them late.

Stan, there are valid reasons to support the war and
there are valid reasons to oppose the war.  We know
what side I'm on but I read both sides of the
argument.  The Cato Institute, an organization that I
respect and on whose board the founder and CEO of my
employer sits, made a strong and reasoned argument
against entering armed conflict with Iraq.  But for
their premise that "democracy cannot survive in the
area" I could have been convinced not to support the
war's start.  As you know, Lindberg went to the
Pacific theatre and served as an advisor to Lockheed
and flew some combat missions.  Tens of thousands of
concientious objectors were some of our bravest
soldiers serving as medics on the battlefield.  To be
against this or any war is certainly understandable.
To cheer bad news because the political party that led
the war effort is not your own is despicable, and that
is precisely what many do (no finger pointing on the
list).  Dewey and FDR had a gentlemans agreement that
they would not raise issues that would hurt the war
effort.  Such bi-partisan co-operation is seldom seen
these days.  I go back to the statement I made a few
days ago.  War is Hell, if you start one, win the damn
thing.

Rummy,

You are preaching to the choir (perhaps a poor choice
of words) on the religion and politics thing.
However, this is a religious country and you can't
deal with one without recognizing the influene of the
other.  Thankfully, I'm married and not looking for
dates.  Try typing "conservative, right wing of Atilla
the Hun, Agnostic seeks, blah, blah, blah" into Yahoo
personals and see how many responses you get!

Brad

http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2002/11/11/kerrey/index2.html

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0204/0204justinvade.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2004/11/21/do2106.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/11/21/ixop.html