[Rhodes22-list] More Lacking Etiquette

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:01:03 EDT 2004

Anne,

I wouldn't have trusted the sailing clown either!

The part of the river/lake we sail on has an island at each end. The river
narrows around these islands. Both wind and current are funneled into the
narrow area often creating the only whitecaps on the river . The shoreline
is hilly and tree lined. This same area is also the main channel so of
course most of the river traffic is forced to get closer. The wind tends to
be very gusty. When you reach the point that the wind is coming around the
island both ways you better be ready because it can shift one way then the
next very quickly.

For our Feb race this year we had a light turn out of 7 boats, The RC
decided it was to cold to mess with setting all the marks so they set a
start line and we used Half Moon Island as our mark. We sailed around the
island and came back through the narrow channel on a run. It was blowing
like crazy and it even snowed a little bit. I broached coming through the
cut and almost ran the boat into the shore flying downwind.  Lucky no
sailboats were near by and it was too cold for the motor boat crowd.I hate
to think of what might have happened if I had tried this steering backwards!

Wally