[Rhodes22-list] Personal attacks

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Oct 30 13:15:48 EDT 2004

Bob,

This comes up every so often.  Here is my response to the last time it came up, with apologies to those who have seen it before:

May 28, 2003

When I was in college, a decision was made to permit George Lincoln Rockwell, the head of the American Nazi Party, to speak to the student body. Free speech. Free country. Every voice should be heard.

Most agreed with the decision, but initially there was
    little agreement about an appropriate response. Finally, after much
    debate, a consensus emerged. Everyone who could fit into
    the hall would attend. There would be no banners. There would be no
    disruptions. At the end of the speech there would be no challenges.
    No questions. Everyone would simply and quietly leave.

Rockwell delivered a vile speech, and then asked for audience response, whereupon the entire student body simply got up and walked out, leaving him ranting at the podium. It was the most effective protest I have ever seen.

    My impression is that this list has elected to protest
    the puerile postings of some members in much the same way. Most of the
    people on this list are not fools. Anyone seeking an intelligent
    discussion of all sides of any issue can find it here. Many of these
    discussions have been fascinating, especially because there are
    literally hundreds of us with nothing in common except a boat.

The issue you raise has occurred to others. The strength of the list is that you raise it publicly, rather than just dropping off the list. The number of different people posting inflammatory claptrap has been greatly reduced from earlier times. I think most people agree with you and protest with their delete keys.

In the past, when this issue came up, we asked that jokes and politics be clearly posted in the subject line so that people who do not wish to read these things in this forum will not be tricked into reading something they consider offensive. As always, most people comply, but a few persist, and think saying Oh, silly me! is cute.

Michael,

Let's enforce the rules about labeling jokes and
    politics in the subject line. We should not wait until someone is
    offended and feels the only option is to leave the list. People who have
    been on the list, and know the rules, should point this out to
    newcomers as soon as the rules are broken. There is really no excuse or rationale for this type of behavior.

Bill Effros

"Are You Safer Today Than You Were 4 Years Ago?"

www.QuoteWithoutComment.com